Fireplace and Stove Glass Safety

Each year, millions of people enjoy the warmth, comfort and utility of modern fireplaces. Today, many gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts have glass fronts to enhance the beauty of the fire. While gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts are a great asset to any home, glass fronts can become extremely hot during and even long after operation. Therefore, it’s important to remember, touching the hot glass front can lead to serious, irreversible burns. Below is information that will allow you to continue to enjoy the many benefits of your gas fireplace, stove or insert while providing an added level of safety against burns.

Fireplace and Stove
Glass Safety

Learn more about Glass Fireplace and Stove safety by watching this video.

 

Child by fireplaceSafety Tips When Operating Your Appliance

To minimize the chance of burns from hot glass, follow these safety tips.

Learn More ›

Safety ProductsSafety Products for Existing Fireplaces, Stoves and Inserts.

While following the Safety Tips can provide an extra margin of safety, there is no substitute for a physical barrier. Consumers with existing fireplaces, stoves or inserts should consider installing a protective screen or physical barrier to reduce the risk of serious burns by preventing direct contact with hot glass.

Learn More ›

Glass Front FireplaceSafety Mandate for New Glass Front Fireplaces

Hot Glass Warning SymbolStarting January 1, 2015, all newly manufactured glass-fronted, gas appliances - that means fireplaces and heaters - will require a protective barrier if their glass surface temperature exceeds 172 degrees Farenheit. This safety standard requires that the barrier must be in place when the product is installed.

Learn More ›

Family Room FireplaceSafety FAQs

While gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts are a great asset to any home, the glass and surrounding surfaces become extremely hot during operation and can stay hot long after operation. Therefore, it’s important to remember that touching the hot glass can lead to serious, irreversible burns. Households with young children, the aged, infirm, or pets especially need to exercise caution.

Learn More ›