Safety Tips When Operating Your Appliance
To minimize the chance of burns from hot glass, follow these safety tips:
- Always supervise children, the aged, infirm or pets near an operating gas fireplace, stove or insert – or one that has recently been turned off.
- Keep the remote control (if available) out of the reach of children.
Install a switch lock to prevent children from turning on the appliance.
- Make sure family members and guests are aware that the glass panel of a gas fireplace, stove or insert can be very hot.
- Wait for the appliance and glass panel to cool down before allowing anyone to get near it. Cool down can take a long time – an hour or more. Some appliances turn on and off automatically with a thermostat, so you may not know when the fire turned off. Always consider the glass as potentially hot.
- Be aware that metal surfaces, such as door frames and grilles, may also get hot.
- Always read the owner’s manual and follow instructions. For example, there may be ways to disable your remote when not in use.