Just like your grills and smokers, tailgating isn’t confined to the parking lot, and neither is your barbecue game. As the homegating trend continues to rise, more and more grill owners are taking a time-out from the typical tailgate scene and setting up headquarters in their backyard. Follow these simple tips to bring the game-day atmosphere to the comfort of your own home.
- Practice makes perfect. You can’t win without a solid defense. Tackle common grilling errors and avoid a homegating penalty by brushing up on your barbecuing safety tips in your pre-game warmup.
- Equipment check. Don’t lose the ball on making sure your equipment is working properly before the party kicks off. Fuel up with charcoal, wood chips, or a propane tank and brushing up on the safety guidelines for your grill.
- Pre-game prep. Prep and marinate meat before the crowd arrives. Mix dips, cut up fruit and chop veggies so everything is grill-ready for game time.
- Go the extra yard. Score big by offering to bring an extra grill to the party. There are plenty of easy portable options like a tailgate grill that attaches to your vehicle, a portable grill with a push-button ignitor, or a small smoker. You can even make pizzas on-the-go with an oven tailgater.
- Be a team player. Smoked or grilled meat may be the MVP at your homegate party, but to really win big, grill up sides, desserts or veggie kabobs using a grill stone to keep sauces and marinades from slipping through the grates, or use a pizza oven to whip up a few pies for an appetizer that everyone will love.
- Rally the team. While pre-gaming rally your teammates for some backyard competition. Toss around a football or play a game of Cornhole – just make sure all activates take place a safe distance away from the grilling area.
- Capitalize on opportunities. Score the extra point for your party with the ultimate homegating patio accessories. Fire up the patio heater to keep your guests around post-game, or huddle around a fire pit to celebrate a big win with a cold beverage from your bar caddy.
- Sub in fresh talent. Just as every football team relies on its quarterback, every homegate needs a solid grill. Consider upgrading to a new model or adding a new flame to the team with a smoker or charcoal grill.