Safety Tips for Outdoor Hearth Products
- Always have a fire extinguisher on hand.
- Carefully read the manufacturer’s installation instructions and safety guidelines for your product.
- Keep all portable hearth products away from combustible material, e.g. outdoor furniture, pool towels, side of house, shrubs, etc.
- Position your hearth product on a stable and fireproof surface, e.g. concrete or brick. Do not put a hearth product on grass, wooden deck or in an enclosed porch.
- Never leave a burning product unattended, especially around children and pets, and make sure the fire is completely extinguished before leaving.
Additional Safety Tips for Wood-burning Products
- Check your local ordinances regarding outdoor wood burning.
- Never use lighter fluid or gasoline to ignite your wood-burning product; use fire starters.
- When lighting or tending to the fire, make sure hair and clothing are away from the flame.
- Burn only dry, seasoned wood (not treated wood) and make sure the smoke is not a nuisance to your neighbor. Consider using a hearth or grill pad for spark prevention.
Source: Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association, www.hpba.org.