The NSPS Initiative
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) New Source Performance Standards, (NSPS) the program which governs emissions for wood burning appliances, is undergoing its first revision in 20 years. Initiated in 1988, the NSPS controls the sale and import of "wood heaters," also known as wood stoves.
Since this revision may impact all wood burning appliances, the HPBA Board of Directors has asked its members to partner with the association in the fight against results that could be potentially harmful for our industry. Our legal, research and legislative staff are working hard to effect a positive outcome for our industry and our members.
To read HPBA's comments on EPA's proposed New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) for Residential Wood, click HERE!
Read other comments that were submitted to the EPA HERE
This initiative has spanned several years and involves a substantial amount of legal advice and technical input. With your help, we know we can influence the NSPS process to result in a revision that will reflect the wishes and needs of our industry. We could not do this alone!
HPBA members affected by the NSPS can access the members-only section through the Solid Fuel Section page on MyHPBA to see the latest developments in this process.
If you are not a member of the association and want to join, click here. If you are currently a member, but have lost or forgot your password for MyHPBA, please contact Ian Glowacki for access instructions.
If you have any other questions, please contact Rachel Feinstein.
Legislation: Wood Stove Regulatory Relief Act (H.R. 4407)
Mr. Luetkemyer (R-MO) introduced legislation with cosponsor Rep. Harper (R-MS) on April 4, 2014.
Bipartisan Support from the Hill
Many U.S. Congressmen have already voiced their support by sending letters to EPA Administrator McCarthy. Below are the letters that have come to our attention. Thank you to all Members of Congress who support the hearth industry!
Senator Thune (R-SD) Press Release
Senator McCaskill (D-MO) Press Release
Representative Benishek (R-MI) and Representative Ribble (R-WI) Press Release
Representative Daines (R-MT) Press Release
Representative Luetkemeyer (R-MO) Press Release
- Timeline of HPBA and Industry Involvement in Development of the NSPS -- July 2014
- Jack Goldman's Testimony for HPBA from EPA's NSPS Hearing in Boston -- Released February 2014
- John Crouch's Testimony for PFI from EPA's NSPS Hearing in Boston -- Released February 2014
- Proposed NSPS and Fact Sheets -- Released January 3, 2014
- EPA NSPS Resources
- EPA's Burn Wise Partnership Program (Larry Brockman, EPA)
- Residential Wood Heaters: NSPS Current Draft Revisions (Gil Wood, EPA) -- Released March 2, 2011
- HPBA SBREFA Small Entity Representative Written Comments -- Released October 1, 2010
- Small Businesses Speak Out on the NSPS Revision -- Released October, 2010
- Market Research/ CBI information gathering letter (subcontracted by EPA) -- Released March 25, 2010
- New EPA Revised NSPS Proposed Schedule -- Released March 1, 2010
- Complete list of EPA certified wood heaters -- Released May 2014