The NSPS Initiative
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) New Source Performance Standards, (NSPS) the program which governs emissions for wood burning appliances, has been updated for the first time in over 20 years. Initiated in 1988, the NSPS controls the sale and import of "wood heaters," also known as wood stoves.
This revision impacts wood and pellet stoves, outdoor hydronic heaters, wood warm air furnaces.HPBA's members partnered with the association in the fight against results that could be potentially harmful for our industry. Our legal, research and legislative staff have worked hard to effect a positive outcome for our industry and our members.
EPA's final NSPS can now be read here.
To read HPBA's comments on EPA's proposed New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) for Residential Wood, click HERE!
HPBA members affected by the NSPS can access the members-only section through the Solid Fuel Section page on MyHPBA to see the latest developments in this process.
If you are not a member of the association and want to join, click here. If you are currently a member, but have lost or forgot your password for MyHPBA, please contact Ian Glowacki for access instructions.
If you have any other questions, please contact Rachel Feinstein.
- Members of Congress Write to EPA Administrator McCarthy on Wood Warm Air Furnaces -- November 2014
- -- August 2014
- Timeline of HPBA and Industry Involvement in Development of the NSPS -- July 2014
- Jack Goldman's Testimony for HPBA from EPA's NSPS Hearing in Boston -- Released February 2014
- John Crouch's Testimony for PFI from EPA's NSPS Hearing in Boston -- Released February 2014
- Proposed NSPS and Fact Sheets -- Released January 3, 2014
- EPA NSPS Resources
- EPA's Burn Wise Partnership Program (Larry Brockman, EPA)
- Residential Wood Heaters: NSPS Current Draft Revisions (Gil Wood, EPA) -- Released March 2, 2011
- HPBA SBREFA Small Entity Representative Written Comments -- Released October 1, 2010
- Small Businesses Speak Out on the NSPS Revision -- Released October, 2010
- Market Research/ CBI information gathering letter (subcontracted by EPA) -- Released March 25, 2010
- New EPA Revised NSPS Proposed Schedule -- Released March 1, 2010
- Complete list of EPA certified wood heaters -- Released May 2014