The NSPS Initiative
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (USEPA) New Source Performance Standards (NSPS), the program which governs emissions for wood burning appliances, is undergoing its first revision in 20 years. Initiated in 1988, the NSPS controls the sale and import of "wood heaters," also known as wood stoves.
Since this revision may impact all wood burning appliances, the HPBA Board of Directors has asked its members to partner with the association in the fight against results that could be potentially harmful for our industry. Our legal, research and legislative staff are working hard to effect a positive outcome for our industry and our members.
Coalition members in the NSPS Initiative can enter the members only section to see the latest developments in this process.
This initiative is anticipated to span several years and will involve a substantial amount of legal advice and technical input. The HPBA Board of Directors has directed that all members who make any product related to wood burning, or who will be directly or indirectly affected by the NSPS outcome, share in 50% of all incurred expenses. The other 50% will be covered by HPBA's general fund.
If you are not a member of the association and want to join, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are currently a member, but have lost or forgot your password, please let us know immediately and we can supply it.
All are welcome to join the NSPS initiative. Members who are current in their assessments can gain access to the many fronts of the NSPS nitiative, including memos, EPA documents, budget information, and the current state of play.
Documents And Updates
- EPA's Burn Wise Partnership Program (Larry Brockman, EPA)
- Residential Wood Heaters: NSPS Current Draft Revisions (Gil Wood, EPA) -- Released March 2, 2011
- HPBA SBREFA Small Entity Representative Written Comments -- Released October 1, 2010
- Small Businesses Speak Out on the NSPS Revision -- Released October, 2010
- The NSPS Initiative: A 2009 Prospectus -- Released April 2010
- Market Research/ CBI information gathering letter (subcontracted by EPA) -- Released March 25, 2010
- 2009 NSPS Initiative Coalition Contributors -- Released March 23, 2010
- New EPA Revised NSPS Proposed Schedule -- Released March 1, 2010
- Text of the NSPS -- February 1988
- Complete list of EPA certified wood heaters -- Released July 8, 2011
- Denver, Colorado meeting & presentation: May 8, 2009
- Memo for HPBA Manufacturers, December 2008
- EPA's Wood Heater Certification Program Review - November 2008
- EPA review document -- Released Fall 2009
NSPS Proposed Timeline
- EPA Prepares Rule Draft: 2009 -- 2012
- Draft Rule Released for Public Comments: Summer 2012
- Final Notice and New NSPS: Late 2013