Codes & Standards
Codes and standards are the guiding force behind the hearth and barbecue industry. There are building codes, fire prevention codes, safety standards, construction standards and much more. In the following pages you will be able to research which codes and standards relate to your area of interest and where to get more detailed information. Also, you will be able to determine when that code or standard may be updated or when there will be a meeting of a task force related to it.
Before you get started...
Codes are typically legal documents that have the force of groups such as the International Code Council (ICC) behind it and are enforced by such groups through building inspectors.
Standards are guidance documents, often written by experts in their field. They are created by Standards Development Organizations (SDO's) with Code Groups looking to the SDO's for guidance in writing code.
Click the links below to learn more about codes that are important to HPBA membership:
- International Residential Code, International Building Code, International Fuel Gas Code, International Energy Conservation Code, International Mechanical Code: http://www.iccsafe.org/Pages/default.aspx
- International Code Council (ICC) 700 National Green Building Standard: http://www.nahb.org/page.aspx/generic/sectionID=2510
- ICC Codes - Adoption by state: http://www.iccsafe.org/gr/Documents/stateadoptions.pdf
- ICC Codes - Adoption by state with interactive map: http://www.iccsafe.org/gr/Pages/adoptions.aspx
Would you like to become more involved?
Sign up on CSA Group's Community of Interest website at: https://community.csagroup.org/welcome
- After you sign up please visit the Fuel Burning community section for information relevant to HPBA members.
2014 Codes and Standards Currently Under Revision:
Last update 12/04/2014
- NFPA 211—restricting the use of replacement products on fireplaces.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has received approximately 100 Public Comments on the most recent proposed changes to NFPA 211. HPBA will hold an industry meeting on the NFPA proposals during HPBExpo on Wednesday, March 4, 2015 from 2:00 to 3:00 pm CST. The next meeting of the NFPA 211 committee will occur March 18-19, 2015 at the NFPA headquarters in Quincy, Mass. The meeting provides the opportunity for a limited number of commenters to give statements on the proposed language. If you have questions about either meeting, please contact Tom Stroud at email@example.com or Crystal Gitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CSA Z21.50—changing the name of the standard to include the word “Decorative”.
- Delayed Ignition in gas fireplaces—We will have a statement paper on the issue soon